Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC’s Move

Comments

• crashdadcrashdad Dodds God
    Rather raiding each other for the benefit of the few and detriment of the many, it would be interesting if the G5 conferences worked together to create four super conferences that had natural rivalries, sensible travel, like-minded schools, etc.  Working as a bloc, that group may have more ability to negotiate media packages.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited October 21
    At 10:20 I got an alert from the Athletic that the AAC is officially adding the six schools mentioned. The CUSA cookie is crumbling.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Well, so long as it’s a conference game, Chuck will have us ready to roll, Skins!
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Per reports last night, Sun Belt is seriously pursuing: Southern Miss, Marshall, ODU, and James Madison. Sun Belt's goal is to be the top mid major conference. Adding these teams would go a long way towards that. So CUSA seems to be in severe peril. The MAC? Quiet, sleeping, apparently doing nothing. At least nothing that is being reported. Some has commented on the pros and cons of the MAC making a move. I have long advocated bringing back Marshall and adding WKU. Well Marshall seems to be going elsewhere as the MAC didn't pursue. I still think WKU makes sense as does to some degree, MTSU. Or maybe the MAC tries to raid MVC football teams-SIU, Northern Iowa, to name a couple. But unless they want to move up for FB, MVC arguably is a better BB league than the MAC. That brings us to another option, one I haven't favored, but since the Power 5 are likely soon to separate themselves from everyone else, would it make sense for the MAC to drop to FCS and join their playoff system? I personally don't like dropping from FBS to FCS, so I propose another option-that the non Power 5 teams institute a playoff system like the FCS. Maybe within the bowl system, maybe not. But at least then there is a true trophy to pursue and not a relatively meaningless bowl game. 

The solution that makes the most sense is for all FBS conference champions to be in a playoff. However, that would involve the P5 to end their financial collusion with the NCAA; so it wont happen.
    Yes, I think we are, Nescacdad.

Again, I am not advocating for WKU and MTSU inclusion, but as outlined in my previous post, I can see a scenario where it might make some sense to strongly consider it. These schools are in big trouble if USM, Marshall etc. leave C-DOA, and they may come to the MAC ready to make concessions to get in...we get a reasonable expansion of footprint and a couple of decent hoops teams in most years. MTSU also just announced a $66 million renovation project for athletics so they are at least upgrading their facilities. Again, if the math doesn’t work, the MAC can stand pat.
    edited October 21
    We already have another home and home on the schedule with WKU - in 27 and 28.
    Cincykid3 said:

Well, so long as it’s a conference game, Chuck will have us ready to roll, Skins!

edited October 21
    nm
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Nescacdad said:

We already have another home and home on the schedule with WKU - in 27 and 28.

Cincykid3 said:

Ha, was thinking same thing....could count that first year as half -OOC/half-Conference.....you did it Chuck, sort of!
    edited October 21
    I corrected my post. It was the American that offered. I had Sun Belt on the brain. Now we’re waiting for two or three more shoes to drop. I’m guessing the Belt goes first and the MAC follows. If I were Louisiana Tech, UTEP and possibly FIU right now I’d be as nervous as a you know what in church.

blockquote class="Quote" rel="Cincykid3">Nescacdad: did the Sunbelt offer WKU and MTSU?

Yeah, my son is on staff at UNCC and he just texted me that it’s a dun deal to AAC for the six schools.
  • miamialummiamialum Summer Orientee
    edited October 21
    Nescacdad said:

This move by the AAC leaves Buffalo fans standing at the alter alone. Joining the AAC and being identified with the likes of UC and UCF has been a long-term dream of Bulls fans. Originally, they hoped to enter the conference with UConn to complete a northeast trifecta with the two of them and Temple. But UConn’s demise, the growing irrelevance of UMass and a shift of focus by the AAC to the South and Texas leaves all of the northeast FBS programs except BC pretty much out in the cold. It would appear that Buffalo might be in the MAC for good.

I'm curious if there is some other unexpected reshuffling. I can't imagine that Temple is happy with the shift of the American south and to Texas. Perhaps there is a football conference with UCONN, UMASS, Temple, Old Dominion, Florida International and some others, perhaps Buffalo. I have read that Delaware has D1 ambitions. Maybe that would be a fit for James Madison. In any event, I'm curious if there will be an eight team eastern league ultimately that will take root that will be more geographically desirable for Buffalo.
    When we attended the game at WKU in 2015, the President of WKU and athletic director walked over to where we were seated in their student Union. It seems - at least then - the President’s son in law was on the staff of the Miami athletic department. He had an affinity for Miami and Oxford.
    Cincykid3 said:

Yeah, my son is on staff at UNCC and he just texted me that it’s a dun deal to AAC for the six schools.

• D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Whatever ESPN wants - ESPN gets!
    In the end, I think the MAC stands pat, but with ESPN “intervention” ($ and MACtion improvement tweaks), and the right deal in place, I could see the WKU-MTSU thing happening. The bad thing for them is that they recruit south and the MAC may not be a perfect fit for either parties.
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    Nescacdad said:
    I would think if reports are accurate this may be the most likely scenario which adds a nice market (Nash metro is fastest growing in US).
    And to clear up - I am not advocating for any school in particular, but am hoping the MAC can add high value athletic programs to the fold. I could care less about a schools religious, public, private, etc status. I’m not willing to play judge on anything other than does a program make the MAC better as a conf.
    If we were to add WKU we would have two programs located in towns named Bowling Green and a team named Miami that is not located in Florida. That should continue to confuse fans, sportswriters and bus drivers into eternity.
    C-USA brass decided to spurn ESPN in last round of contract extensions..I think it may have been partly due to the resistance to attendance killing weeknight game requirements. It has cost them greatly with mostly lousy TV coverage (and $$) and it may be for this reason alone that remaining orphans like WKU, MTSU, and L-Tech, etc. will be looking for a reasonable “off ramp.”

To me this puts the MAC in a very strong negotiating position should they choose to entertain expansion to 14. If it’s not worth it, the MAC stays intact T 12.
    NEW MAC WITH JUST WKU AND MTSU REALIGNED NORTH-SOUTH

This looks more feasible and more appealing to me.

NORTHERN Division

Buffalo
    Akron
    Kent
    Central Michigan
    Western Michigan
    Eastern Michigan
    NIU

SOUTHERN Division

Toledo
    Bowling Green
    Ball State
    Miami
    Ohio
    Middle Tennessee
    Western Kentucky

Sample Miami Schedule Preserves UC + 3 OOC)

At Buy game
    UC (Victory Bell)
    Buy Game /FCS or FBS G5 OOC
    Bowling Green
    Buy Game/FCS or FBS G5 OOC
    At Western Kentucky
    Ball State (Redbird Rivalry)
    At MAC Crossover
    Middle Tennessee
    At Toledo
    Ohio
    MAC North Crossover

That last post of mine might have been behind a pay wall. Here’s the salient points I was trying to pass along from the article:

“Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee could be options to return to the Sun Belt, but there remain hard feelings over how they left for C-USA in the early 2010s. They also may not provide enough clear value from a competitive or television money standpoint.

Liberty is in a unique position and has been for some time. Its outspoken political affiliations have turned off many conference presidents in the past. Former president Jerry Falwell Jr. is no longer at the school, but past controversy still hangs over everything. The other factor is money. Liberty reportedly offered tens of millions to join an FBS conference when it moved up from the FCS, but throwing that kind of money around also scared schools that can’t financially compete with them. From a success standpoint in football, Liberty brings a lot, and the Flames are interested in joining the right conference. Whether or not a conference wants them remains to be seen.”
    In the FWIW category: Herdiban followers on their message board seem to split 50:50 on whether or not they go to the Belt or stay in the weakened C-USA...they are thinking the survivors in C-USA will reap the reward of the exit fees from the dearly departed for the AAC. If they stay then less likely WKU and others panic.

Get your popcorn and watch the fun!
    This Delaware Blue Hens article provides evidence that JMU wholeheartedly wants to move up to FBS and join an appropriate conference. That train has left the station. Both the university President snd AD want it.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/2021/10/21/savor-delaware-jmu-football-duel-could-last/8527216002/
    I’ll call Lane K and have him send me some.
    Cincykid3 said:

In the FWIW category: Herdiban followers on their message board seem to split 50:50 on whether or not they go to the Belt or stay in the weakened C-USA...they are thinking the survivors in C-USA will reap the reward of the exit fees from the dearly departed for the AAC. If they stay then less likely WKU and others panic.

Get your popcorn and watch the fun!

edited October 21
    https://csnbbs.com/thread-932678.html

Check this out! Multiple reports that the MAC is negotiating with MTSU and WKU! ESPN has apparently signed off on it.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Taking Marshall back would be the conference equivalent of taking back a girlfriend who cheated on you with Curtis McMuscleneck but now says that was just physical and she *reallllllly* loves you … this time.
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    Why does/should the MAC want WKU or MTSU? Maybe that’s been addressed previously in the thread—attempting to catch up…
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Maz said:

Taking Marshall back would be the conference equivalent of taking back a girlfriend who cheated on you with Curtis McMuscleneck but now says that was just physical and she *reallllllly* loves you … this time.

Mmmm.... Curtis McMuscleneck sounds dreamy. In a strictly physical way, that is.
    Marshall back to the MAC ain’t happening.....
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Nescacdad said:

If we were to add WKU we would have two programs located in towns named Bowling Green and a team named Miami that is not located in Florida. That should continue to confuse fans, sportswriters and bus drivers into eternity.

I am now 1000% in on this.