Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC’s Move

Comments

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Randy: complete speculation on my part, but in answer to your question I would guess that the MAC is probably not all that interested in adding WKU and MTSU but that conditions (mentioned in previous posts) could present themselves such that they would at least consider it.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    ...and a school that is in Ohio, but identifies with Michigan (Toledo)....another school that is in Ohio, but sure seems like West Virginia.

;-)
    I did look at a map today..Bowling Green (Ky) is really off the beaten path, and MTSU is not really near Nashville.
  • ButlerCountyButlerCounty Summer Orientee
    edited October 21
    Cincykid3 said:

I did look at a map today..Bowling Green (Ky) is really off the beaten path, and MTSU is not really near Nashville.

MTSU is in Murfreesboro, a suburb 30 miles south of downtown Nashville. Due to suburban sprawl it very much part of the metro area. Think Mason to Cincinnati.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

I doubt you could get more off the beaten path than Oxford. I remember thinking WKU is right off of i65 and between Louisville and Nashville.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Nescacdad said:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-932678.html

Check this out! Multiple reports that the MAC is negotiating with MTSU and WKU! ESPN has apparently signed off on it.

I read the attached and never saw anything that suggested that. Did I miss it?
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-conference-realignment-scenarios-sun-belt-conference-usa

This scenario out the last hour…the speculation merely involves a reshuffling of CUSA and the Belt. Doesn’t touch the MAC.
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite
    In my opinion for the MAC and ONLY if the TV money presented itself for everyone to gain due the recent circumstances is to add WKU and UMASS (all sports).  Would bolster the MAC basketball profile quite a bit.  This might be the only window of opportunity now to grab UMASS basketball.
    Now that’s one completely out of left field! UMass is not even certain it wants to continue to play FBS football. They’ve had absolutely NO success since they moved up. I am pretty certain the wouldn’t have the even the slightest interest in moving their entire athletic department to the Midwest.
    mpurdy22 said:

In my opinion for the MAC and ONLY if the TV money presented itself for everyone to gain due the recent circumstances is to add WKU and UMASS (all sports).  Would bolster the MAC basketball profile quite a bit.  This might be the only window of opportunity now to grab UMASS basketball.

Nescacdad said:

Now that’s one completely out of left field! UMass is not even certain it wants to continue to play FBS football. They’ve had absolutely NO success since they moved up. I am pretty certain the wouldn’t have the even the slightest interest in moving their entire athletic department to the Midwest.

mpurdy22 said:

From what I have read, UMASS is committed to FBS.  Have you seen reports they are researching the thought of dropping or moving back to FCS for football?  
    Perplexing to me why Marshall would want to stay in C-DOA.
    https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/idaho-dropped-from-fbs-to-fcs-then

Here’s a conversation from 2019. UMass had a terrible 2019, didn’t play in 2020 and have an abominable season going so far this year. Whether they belong at the FBS level has been under discussion since they originally moved up from the Colonial. They toyed with playing several of their games in Foxboro but I think they’re back to playing almost all their games in tiny McGuirk field now. Their AD and President said they’re committed to FBS last year but committed to being successful as an Independent. Do you have evidence UMass is interested in moving all their sports to the MAC?
    mpurdy22 said:

Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

From what I have read, UMASS is committed to FBS.  Have you seen reports they are researching the thought of dropping or moving back to FCS for football?  
    edited October 21
    Looks like the MAC is on the sidelines here at least until the next hand is played by Marshall and their “traveling companions”. Then, if the Herd, USM, ODU and JMU do head to the Sunbelt, WKU and MTSU might come a-calling.....but based on this article, looking more and more like MAC will stand pat per usual.
    edited October 21
    Nescacdad said:

Here’s a conversation from 2019. UMass had a terrible 2019, didn’t play in 2020 and have an abominable season going so far this year. Whether they belong at the FBS level has been under discussion since they originally moved up from the Colonial. They toyed with playing several of their games in Foxboro but I think they’re back to playing almost all their games in tiny McGuirk field now. Their AD and President said they’re committed to FBS last year but committed to being successful as an Independent. Do you have evidence UMass is interested in moving all their sports to the MAC?

Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

mpurdy22 said:

Nescacdad said:

Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

• MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

Nescacdad said:

mpurdy22 said:

UMass played 4 games in 2020, it was UConn that didn't play.

Don't think they want to join the MAC in all sports though.
    edited October 21
    Thanks, Moorehawk. I thought they took the season off. They should have. They’re 2-20 since November 2018. Good catch!
  • MightyMUMightyMU Dodds God
    edited October 21
    I've been reading about this on this board and the MAC board. I was undecided, if not leaning toward doing nothing. But a couple minutes ago, I thought about the fact that if we add WKU and/or MTSU, it will add two more large universities, and two metro areas of some size, a student base and alumni base that would be supporting the MAC. It would be their conference and most would certainly become "MAC Fans." The local newspapers and TV stations would follow and support MAC sports. Say Miami has a great year in fball and/or men's bball. Wouldn't it be nice to have those writers, and stations, and members of their communities, supporting an outstanding Miami fball team with votes in the Top 25, or to be the Group of Five rep in the CFB. Especially when that expands, offering more opportunities to G5 teams. Finally, I wouldn't miss fball games against some of our current members. 
    So, I don't see much downside, unless ESPN doesn't increase rights payments  and we lose in the dilution. But the positives are, at least to me, clear. It could be a very good thing for the MAC and Miami. The more eyes watching MAC games, maybe more bowl games,  more invitations to the NCAA tournament, all of which would be big revenue producers, is a good thing for us. .
    Good post, MightyMU!
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Dido
    Well, based on these media tweets it appears that the MAC is sitting this out, at least in these initial stages.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Adding those teams is very unlikely to give us two NCAA bids.  It will just make it that much harder to win the MACC and actually get in.  We will lose plenty of money by dividing the college football playoff money 14 ways instead of 12.  I understand why WKU and MTSU would want to join our league, I just don't think it helps us.  It helps them.
  • NWORedhawkNWORedhawk Summer Orientee
    MightyMU said:

I've been reading about this on this board and the MAC board. I was undecided, if not leaning toward doing nothing. But a couple minutes ago, I thought about the fact that if we add WKU and/or MTSU, it will add two more large universities, and two metro areas of some size, a student base and alumni base that would be supporting the MAC. It would be their conference and most would certainly become "MAC Fans." The local newspapers and TV stations would follow and support MAC sports. Say Miami has a great year in fball and/or men's bball. Wouldn't it be nice to have those writers, and stations, and members of their communities, supporting an outstanding Miami fball team with votes in the Top 25, or to be the Group of Five rep in the CFB. Especially when that expands, offering more opportunities to G5 teams. Finally, I wouldn't miss fball games against some of our current members. 

So, I don't see much downside, unless ESPN doesn't increase rights payments  and we lose in the dilution. But the positives are, at least to me, clear. It could be a very good thing for the MAC and Miami. The more eyes watching MAC games, maybe more bowl games,  more invitations to the NCAA tournament, all of which would be big revenue producers, is a good thing for us. .
    That would be great. I hope it happens.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Adding those teams is very unlikely to give us two NCAA bids.  It will just make it that much harder to win the MACC and actually get in.  We will lose plenty of money by dividing the college football playoff money 14 ways instead of 12.  I understand why WKU and MTSU would want to join our league, I just don't think it helps us.  It helps them.

insightful
  • MightyMUMightyMU Dodds God
    I don't care if it helps them. I always support other MAC teams simply because a rising sea lifts all ships, as the saying goes. Like when WMU went to a major bowl, each MAC team got at least $500K. And I'll bet their fans travel well.  Good for selling tickets and sundries. I am confident many of their fans would make the trip just to check us out. Fine. Stay in a local hotel. Eat uptown. Buy popcorn and candy at the game. It would be "terrible" if our food venus increased their quality and selection. But fill the coffers with foreign dollars. 
    So let them be good competition. But I fear none of them.
    Yeah I guess having two more schools join that have decent hoops programs make it harder to win the league’s sole (typically) NCAA spot in hoops, but based on the reality of the last decade or so I am not sure how relevant that is to Miami b-ball in its recent or current state.

As for splitting the pot 14 ways instead of 12, I would be guessing that if ESPN wanted to finish off C-DOA (a non ESPn conference if you will), then they might sweeten the pot a little if we allowed WKU and MTSU to join....maybe in the form of more TV game coverage...I dunno. Maybe MAC could get more bowl slot commitments w C-USA polished off for all practical purposes. Anyway, I find it all rather fascinating, and admit the idea of allowing these two schools to join should the opportunity appear positive to the conference overall, is growing on me.
    DICK said:

They will not be added unless more TV revenue is contracted.  
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited October 22
    MooreHawk said:

Bluesman - Dropping to FCS makes no financial sense. The CFP payout to the MAC would go down by 15 million, buy games would go down by a million, the media deal would drop. And all we'd save is some scholarships and some money on coaches. Is that worth it in exchange for being able to play for the FCS national championship? I don't think so.

96 - The MAC doesn't want to, or need to expand so it's not an issue that we can't. As for the MAC being at the back of the line, maybe but the goal of the MAC hasn't been to be the best G5 conference. It's been to play FBS football in a conference that makes sense.

I am not saying we should drop to FCS. But I also don't thing the negatives are as dire as you say. To me, there is one big question. What happens to the MAC TV deal which is currently 10 million a year or 833K per MAC team per year. If dropping means we lose that, then yes, I agree, it makes little monetary sense. If the contract remains, maybe not as dire. But then one must ask, does that contract remain when the current term ends even if we stay FBS, given the immense changing landscape of college athletics? Does ESPN still value the MAC after all the realignment? Do they put some new paradigm in place for revenue? Which also ties into the MAC adding more teams. Do those new teams bring monetary value? Will bringing them increase TV revenue? (I use TV to represent all TV/streaming services) Or does it simply reduce the pot per team as now the same amount is being divided by two (or more) additional teams? Most importantly, has David Sayler considered all this and does he have a plan(s) in place? Similar questions for the powers that be in MAC headquarters. There should be contingency plans in place, there should have been plans in place years ago, as these changes were clearly evident on the horizon. 
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

MooreHawk said:

Bluesman - Dropping to FCS makes no financial sense. The CFP payout to the MAC would go down by 15 million, buy games would go down by a million, the media deal would drop. And all we'd save is some scholarships and some money on coaches. Is that worth it in exchange for being able to play for the FCS national championship? I don't think so.

96 - The MAC doesn't want to, or need to expand so it's not an issue that we can't. As for the MAC being at the back of the line, maybe but the goal of the MAC hasn't been to be the best G5 conference. It's been to play FBS football in a conference that makes sense.

I am not saying we should drop to FCS. But I also don't thing the negatives are as dire as you say. To me, there is one big question. What happens to the MAC TV deal which is currently 10 million a year or 833K per MAC team per year. If dropping means we lose that, then yes, I agree, it makes little monetary sense. 

We would absolutely lose that. There's a big difference between stuff you buy to content fill a streaming service and stuff you buy to actually put on the air. There's multiple MAC games on actual TV every week, as opposed to usually less than 10 FCS vs FCS matchups that get on TV every season, including playoffs. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would imagine there would be a massive drop in media revenue from going FCS (to say nothing of reduced fan support and buy game payouts).

Unrelated side note: I tried to look up the MVFC and Big Sky media deals to see how they compare to the MAC deal. All of the articles about those deals were on local news sites that are behind a paywall, so I wasn't able to read them. There is no way I'm going to buy a subscription just to read one article. It's so frustrating and bizarre that nobody has come up with a business model that allows people to read out-of-market local news stories yet.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly

Bluesman said:

MooreHawk said:

nobody has come up with a business model that allows people to read out-of-market local news stories yet.

They have,  It's called a paywall.