Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC Softball Tournament

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Great season and hopefully they win again today!
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    edited May 2016
    OU it is!

Game to start "shortly after 2" according to MUredhawks twitter. 

Game to be streamed on ESPN3
    Rain delay...expected start between 2:50 - 3:00 PM.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Up 1-0 through 4
    edited May 2016
    NCAA Tourney bound!

Miami defeats OU 3-0!

Selection show 10:00 AM 5/15/16 ESPNU.
    TruckCrewAORedHawk33The_SackmanLove_and_HonorMowchskin66Re6H5wk
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Love this run by the ladies. They are playing gritty ball and Shuey is just flat out having a great season. Keep it up!

Any relation to the major leaguer Paul Shuey?
    Congrats to the ladies on the MAC Championship!!

Please go tell basketball and football how this is done!!
    killgas20
    Correction: Selection show at 10:00 PM on ESPNU.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    I am hoping Miami ends up in Ann Arbor.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

I am hoping Miami ends up in Ann Arbor.

That would be nice--softball and Zingerman's--a good combination.
    Miamitexx
    edited May 2016
    Ann Arbor it is.

We get Notre Dame in game #1, and Michigan and Valpo.
    I went in 2009, I think. It was us, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Cleveland State. We beat Cleveland State for our first NCAA tourney win in program history. Michigan has a great facility.
    edited May 2016
    #3 seed. Highest seed every for Miami women's softball per the announcement video. GREAT JOB!!! WAY TO REPRESENT AND LOVE AND HONOR!!
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

#3 seed. Highest seed every for Miami women's softball per the announcement video. GREAT JOB!!! WAY TO REPRESENT AND LOVE AND HONOR!!

Miami, Notre Dame & Valpo were likely assigned to Ann Arbor partially due to geography.
    However, if the selection committee went exactly by the "S Curve" -
    then Notre Dame is the #31 seed and Miami is the #34 seed out of 64 teams.   
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Valpo would most likely be the last seed
    I'm pretty sure there are the top 16 teams that get to host, then the other teams are broken down into 2, 3, and 4 seeds. Then, they assign each site a 2, 3, and 4 seed based almost exclusively on geography.
    I used to know the actual process for this, but I forget.
    So how does this work? Round robin and the top 2 advance?
    edited May 2016
    Re6H5wk said:

So how does this work? Round robin and the top 2 advance?

No.  Each of the 16 campus sites is it's own "regional."  One winner advances from each of the 16 regionals in a double-elimination format to a super-regional.

Michigan is the national #2 seed.  The top 16 national seeds are already placed in a bracket, so the winner of the Ann Arbor regional will meet the winner of MIssouri's regional, because Missouri is the national #15 seed.  Each super-regional is best two out of three.

The eight super-regional winners go to the World Series.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Do we have any realistic chance to advance out of this bracket?

Hopefully baseball follows suit!!!!

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

You mentioned baseball, and I don't want to thread jack from the ladies' accomplishments, but the guys are 10 games better already from last year...good to see both squads excelling/improving this year!
    It appears the Michigan regional is not being televised or streamed via ESPN.

Per a tweet from Michigan Softball, the Michigan athletic department is exploring other options to video stream the regional.
  • birdseyebirdseye Summer Orientee
    Spanks004 said:

Valpo had to win a couple of games and have help to make the Horizon tourney as the 6th and lowest seed. They entered that tourney 12-34 then proceeded to beat #3, #2, #1 and #2 in succession to win the tourney.

Considering Michigan is the #2 national seed, I'd say it's doubtful. But then I don't know how often upsets happen in softball.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Considering Michigan is the #2 national seed, I'd say it's doubtful. But then I don't know how often upsets happen in softball.
    I don't follow softball that closely, but since hitting is so much harder in softball than it is in baseball it usually comes down to which team has the best pitcher.

Looking at Michigan they're 46-5 compared to 34-21 for us. Megan Betsa was Big 10 pitcher of the year and had a 1.99 ERA. Miami's ace is Amber Logemann with a 2.40 ERA.

Especially with the double elimination format it looks like a pretty long shot on paper, but you never know until the teams go out onto the field.
    Re6H5wkAORedHawk33killgas20
    edited May 2016
    Game time is 4:30 pm Friday.

Win, Noon Saturday.  Lose, 2:30 pm Saturday.
    Pitching is huge in softball. Michigan has a decided advantage with Megan Betsa, but, Amber has been terrific all year and especially in the MAC tourney. Hopefully she gets rest as she pitched all 15 innings against OU.
    Tickets on sale at 10 am today.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    birdseye said:

Spanks004 said:

Valpo had to win a couple of games and have help to make the Horizon tourney as the 6th and lowest seed. They entered that tourney 12-34 then proceeded to beat #3, #2, #1 and #2 in succession to win the tourney.
    Yup, that was my point in saying they are most likely the last seeded team in the entire tournament.

Michigan will most likely advance (they definitely should), but you never know if you have a hot pitcher. Miami upset overall #5 seed Tennessee in 2012, maybe they can do it again!
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    killgas20 said:

It appears the Michigan regional is not being televised or streamed via ESPN.

Per a tweet from Michigan Softball, the Michigan athletic department is exploring other options to video stream the regional.
    That sucks. I'm surprised too considering that Michigan is the second overall seed, and that they along with Notre Dame are big names even if they aren't as big in the softball world as many of the southern colleges.