Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2018 Recruiting Thread

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    TE/ATH Ben Vansumeren has decommitted from WMU
  • Sprint513Sprint513 Summer Orientee
    Quinn Calcagno's younger brother is gaining recruiting interest.

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2017/05/26/beth-longs-football-recruiting-notebook-57/
  • HighStreetBluesHighStreetBlues Senior Barfly
    Welcome aboard!
    I don't think he's the last of this weekend...someone else we offered wayyy back in January when we started our offers
  • fcsofenfcsofen Senior Barfly
    edited June 2017
    As I said before, I like the way you think Spanks. Let's get a stud this afternoon!

Also, welcome Cam. We love those 6'5" WR's.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    CM definitely likes the big WR. I love Cam Blakely! Great pickup. Good hands and great reach.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Committ #2 of the weekend. Welcome Cecil singleton! Big time get out of cincy!!

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7688377/57f03b6cbd75201398e3b8f1

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Nice. Looks like he can play a few positions.

Committ #2 of the weekend. Welcome Cecil singleton! Big time get out of cincy!!

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7688377/57f03b6cbd75201398e3b8f1

Cecil is a huge pickup. We offered him back in January as one of our first offers. He turned down UC committing to us!
    edited June 2017
    Welcome Cecil!!

I LOVE to beat UC--in anything, but especially recruiting.
    Great pickup! Great beating out UC! Kid is versatile but I termed this snag a WR weekend for CM. 2 great potential WR pickups in Singleton and Blakely!
    While Blakely may not have a lot of offers, him and Singleton have been top two WRs on coaches board for several weeks now. Coaches know they got a steal here, and would have expected him to receive many more offers throughout the upcoming season.
  • redbear18redbear18 Havighurstite
    Sure, there are many different reasons we are killing it in recruiting, but certainly one reason we are beating UC is because we have a better head coach. Fickell was a bust of a coach at Ohio State and he's going to be a bust at UC, while Chuck Martin has won everywhere he's gone. UC is a program on the decline, while Miami is building something special.
  • watson99watson99 Dodds God
    redbear18 said:

Sure, there are many different reasons we are killing it in recruiting, but certainly one reason we are beating UC is because we have a better head coach. Fickell was a bust of a coach at Ohio State and he's going to be a bust at UC, while Chuck Martin has won everywhere he's gone. UC is a program on the decline, while Miami is building something special.

While I'd love everything you wrote to be true it's just not. UC is actually killing it on the recruiting trail pulling in several coveted four stars over the past few classes. This years class is currently loaded with some of best athletes in the Cinci area opting to forego power 5 offers to stay home. Whatever Fickell is selling local kids are buying in. As for Fickell being a bust he has always been a highly regarded assistant who went 6-6 in his short stint as boss between Tressel and Meyer which is underwhelming for the setting but as an interim he gets a pass. Chuck is a proven commodity as the head man and he is building something special in Miami but make no mistake UC is not a program on the decline. We have a short window over the next season or two to take home the bell and then UC will be as formidable as any P5 team on the OOC schedule. Don't want to make enemies here lol but you cant seriously take a look at whats going over there and pencil in an easy W.
  • RudyRudy Havighurstite
    Agree. Show you can shoot par or better from the whites before saying they're too short and playing the blues.
    Luke Fickell is a name because he interim-ed at a power program. He has deep Ohio ties, is a good person, and recruits well because of those things. He is not, however, a mediocre head coach or a "highly regarded assistant." There is plenty of data to prove it:
    -As a head coach, he took over a team that went 12-1 the previous season, had Braxton Miller at QB and a litany of NFL talent. He lost to Purdue and should've lost to Toledo. They went 6-7. The next season they went 12-0. Name another example of inherited talent doing that poorly. The only comp I can think of is John L. Smith in that interim year at Arkansas after Petrino motorcycled himself to unemployment and that team only won like 4 games the following season. Elite company!
    -As an assistant, he coached at exactly one school in the past decade and a half and was never trusted to independently coordinate the defense - even after being the freakin head coach. That's not high regard to anybody not drinking the scarlet Kool-Aid and exactly why he was never rumored for any P5 gigs the past 5 seasons.

With all that being said, you're 100% correct: we have to win this year or next because their talent discrepancy will overcome Fickell's coaching to make this a bloodbath in a few years if he can keep this recruiting pace.
    Agreed on everything said the last two posts. UC is actually crushing us this year, we just happened to get Singleton over them. They have several four stars, which have not been common for their program historically. Fickell is recruiting in his own backyard and it's working hard. They have local hashtags, gifs, etc, getting these kids to stay home and have "#CinCityPride"
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

Agreed on everything said the last two posts. UC is actually crushing us this year, we just happened to get Singleton over them. They have several four stars, which have not been common for their program historically. Fickell is recruiting in his own backyard and it's working hard. They have local hashtags, gifs, etc, getting these kids to stay home and have "#CinCityPride"

I agree we have to show urgency, but if Fickell is a meh coach those 4 stars won't be going to UC very often after this class. The hype from being new to the job and a recent assistant of a longtime power is a strong combination if he's a solid recruiter to begin with, but it's unlikely to keep up if they're a seven win kind of program. They'll probably get beaten up by Michigan before us, we need to put them at 1-2 and set the tone for the Fickell era.
    History so far has shown, that CM and his staff know how to evaluate WR talent. I am thrilled with Singleton and Blakely. Great pickups!

Great little article on Cam Blakely! Can't wait for him to get on campus!

http://gridironscouting.com/2017/06/07/2018-wr-cam-blakely-finds-his-fit-at-miami-ohio/

• Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Kam Butler is the guy I'm keeping an eye on.  I think we have a better chance with him than I originally thought we might.  He's a guy who could potentially see the field from day 1.  Hope AJ Mayer is in his ear everyday. 
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

http://gridironscouting.com/2017/06/07/2018-wr-cam-blakely-finds-his-fit-at-miami-ohio/

Nice find!  I love that we get a little glimpse of what Blakely's visit might have looked like.  

With every article that comes out about our recruiting, I am more and more impressed with this group of coaches.  This staff pulled out all the stops, for a WR without another division 1 offer... speaks volumes about the kid, and the staff. 
  • Hawks24Hawks24 Havighurstite
    Can we start working on an extension already?! 

Bluesman said:

Nice find!  I love that we get a little glimpse of what Blakely's visit might have looked like.  

With every article that comes out about our recruiting, I am more and more impressed with this group of coaches.  This staff pulled out all the stops, for a WR without another division 1 offer... speaks volumes about the kid, and the staff. 
    That's why I liked it, the article. Insights on recruiting and great publicity for CM and staff.
    edited June 2017
    Unreal the job these guys are doing. 
    We need to have a Gates or a Buffett "adopt" Miami, much like Phil Knight did/does at Oregon and T. Boone to Oklahoma State, and drop a hundred million in the coaches salary fund and pay CM whatever it takes to keep him in Oxford. Ten million a year? Why not.
  • redbear18redbear18 Havighurstite
    Obviously, we can't pencil in an easy W against UC; I know our recent history. I'm just saying and believe our recruits see the importance of having a coach who can get it done, get Ws, and get players to play at their potential. Fickell bombed at Ohio State and whether he will have any success is a big question mark - I wouldn't risk my college career on him
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    We have zero easy w's next year. Yep, for the first time in years we have several should win or may win games, but easy--nope. Still a year away from easy.
    fcsofen said:

We need to have a Gates or a Buffett "adopt" Miami, much like Phil Knight did/does at Oregon and T. Boone to Oklahoma State, and drop a hundred million in the coaches salary fund and pay CM whatever it takes to keep him in Oxford. Ten million a year? Why not.
    I think there's a new little locker room facility near Yager with a beneficiary who has voiced his desire to do something like that (not $10M obviously), but the academic side of the equation makes life tough sometimes for things like that.
  • Hawks24Hawks24 Havighurstite

fcsofen said:

I think there's a new little locker room facility near Yager with a beneficiary who has voiced his desire to do something like that (not $10M obviously), but the academic side of the equation makes life tough sometimes for things like that.
    Is President Crawford really going to prevent this from happening?