Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2017-2018 Schedule

13»

Comments

• killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    edited August 2017
    Based on this schedule:

• At Western Illinois (ends this series)
    • Missouri, DePaul, & Ohio State are money games
    • Fordham, Tulane, and Austin Peay return trip to Oxford at some point?
    • Can't remember is this is the final game of the IPFW or not.

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    The Austin Peay game may be part of the TARKETT SPORTS CLASSIC contract.  Austin Peay played in Oxford last season for that and it may be a condition for a return game.
    killgas20
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I think Fordham and Tulane fall under the umbrella of that tournament we are doing.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    I see Fordham as an up-and-comer in the A10. This will be a good test.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

I see Fordham as an up-and-comer in the A10. This will be a good test.

There's only one A-10 team that I care about and they are the GOAT...

YOUR Duquesne Dukes!
    Hawks24Bash_RiprockyanksalexRe6H5wkLove_and_Honorkillgas20AORedHawk33Quinoaburger
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Would love to be playing Devin's new Atlantic 10 team.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I'm thinking 5-8 against this schedule? Not that OOC will really matter for us this season. I'm with RedSea- disappointed with the home portion of the schedule.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Redsea said:

I think Fordham and Tulane fall under the umbrella of that tournament we are doing.

Yes...I should have read the press release.  Both of those games are part of the Jamaica tournament.  
    19goSkins
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Is the Missouri game definitely a buy game? Buy games with the same team in back to back years isn't that surprising, but couldn't it also be part of a 2-for-1/3-for-1 type deal?
  • CalOhHawkCalOhHawk Havighurstite
    Are we also playing at home Little Sisters of the Poor?
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    The Little Sisters of the Poor won at the Supreme Court, so I doubt our chances on the court at Millett.
    Bash_Riprock
  • CAredhawk13CAredhawk13 Senior Barfly
    CalOhHawk said:

Are we also playing at home Little Sisters of the Poor?

No they are D3, we only play NAIA games at home now
  • Nobody is excited about a game, in New Orleans, vs Tulane, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving? Think about it, Muncie on Tuesday night to see football beat the Cardinals, catch a flight to NO out of Indy on Wednesday, Bourbon Street pre/post game, turkey on Thursday with NFL.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

Nobody is excited about a game, in New Orleans, vs Tulane, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving? Think about it, Muncie on Tuesday night to see football beat the Cardinals, catch a flight to NO out of Indy on Wednesday, Bourbon Street pre/post game, turkey on Thursday with NFL.

Nope!
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited August 2017
    I think this is a great schedule, but I'm not a season ticket holder. I'm not sure I'd be too happy with paying for two NAIA games.
    JiveHawk
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Half the roster is new and most of them are true freshmen. Given that, I'm okay with this rather lackluster non-conference schedule. Admittedly though, the home games sort of stink.
    JiveHawkskin66
  • RudyRudy Havighurstite
    I agree with Bash. Prove we can win every game on the schedule before we say it's soft. It's like guys who gripe at me for playing the white tees and I'm all like "dudes, I'm not gonna shoot par from the whites today. Don't make me shoot a 103 from 7200 yards."
    JiveHawk
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    The schedule being soft and us actually being able to beat the teams we schedule are not mutually exclusive propositions. 

But, losing to shit schools, especially on your home court, is way less fun than losing to respectable programs. This is part of the reason we were all miserable during the Cooper era.
  • RudyRudy Havighurstite
    I can't wait until our out of conference includes x, uc, ud, butler, valpo, nku, wsu pretty much every year. It's been a while. But once our program rises you can imagine some excellent regional rivalries starting to form again. Saves everyone travel costs and fills the venues up better. I bet we are 3 years out. Good news is, basketball scheduling tends to be way more fluid than say, football so maybe there's hope?
  • I'd like to make it to the NCAA Tournament on an annual basis, and make it into the 2nd and 3rd weekends.

Screw the local teams that won't play Miami. Make the NCAA's, advance for a few seasons, then worry about scheduling UD & X. Coincidentally, that's the same thing they do.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Rudy said:

I can't wait until our out of conference includes x, uc, ud, butler, valpo, nku, wsu pretty much every year. It's been a while. But once our program rises you can imagine some excellent regional rivalries starting to form again. Saves everyone travel costs and fills the venues up better. I bet we are 3 years out. Good news is, basketball scheduling tends to be way more fluid than say, football so maybe there's hope?

Unless we ever become an annual top 75 RPI team, there is absolutely no reason for X, UC, and Dayton to play us in Oxford, and no reason for us to play those 3 teams on the road every year.  Similar logic applies for Butler assuming they maintain their relative success in the Big East.

The mythical Miami Valley conference is, unfortunately, a thing of the past.
    AORedHawk33
  • RudyRudy Havighurstite
    Then as the late, great, sea monster Al Davis used to say: "just win baby" and that will make them want to play us more.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

UD will never play Miami on a home & home basis, again.

Never say never.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

Bluesman said:

Given half our team is new, or over half, I am actually ok playing Midway. Can we play Pearl Harbor next? B)

No - Wake Island comes first.
    Just don't send us to Guam.
    redhawk11
  • DICK said:

UD will never play Miami on a home & home basis, again.

Never say never.
    If Anthony Grant builds the same type of team, at Dayton, that he built when he was at VCU (before he left for Alabama), it'll take a Miami Final 4 appearance, for the two to meet on a home & home basis.