Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Attendance for WMU

Just was looking at the box score and noticed the reported attendance was 3804! That is outstanding and is the type of attendance we should at a minimum be seeing every game. Attendance was down a bit last night, but is was a weekday game so that might explain it. But 3800 on Saturday is great to see!! This team, and the women, deserve this type of attention and more!! They play really fun basketball to watch!! Support it!

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Just was looking at the box score and noticed the reported attendance was 3804! That is outstanding and is the type of attendance we should at a minimum be seeing every game. Attendance was down a bit last night, but is was a weekday game so that might explain it. But 3800 on Saturday is great to see!! This team, and the women, deserve this type of attention and more!! They play really fun basketball to watch!! Support it!

Agreed. That is a great number for us. They were promoting the Saturdays games very heavily, with all faculty and staff + families getting free admission. I am guessing many in attendance were faculty/staff.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Put a better product on the court and more people show up. Go figure. Good to see the excitement back for the basketball program.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited January 2018
    Too bad that game was not a W...would have gained some more fans back...have to think at least a little vibe starting though.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Can that be right? I wasn't at the game, but 3,800 seems unlikely due to the students still on break and the fact that we hadn't cracked 1,000 all season.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Can that be right? I wasn't at the game, but 3,800 seems unlikely due to the students still on break and the fact that we hadn't cracked 1,000 all season.

That's what the stats say. I wasn't there. Watched it on ESPN3. Trying to come in for the men and womens DH on 1/27 though. 
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    Spanks was right. The Crawfords purchased tickets I believe for all Miami "family." And that allowed them to attend all three events. Great idea!
    Re6H5wk
    bpat said:

Spanks was right. The Crawfords purchased tickets I believe for all Miami "family." And that allowed them to attend all three events. Great idea!

Unfortunately I believe all 3 lost. But still a great idea.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited January 2018
    I was actually watching part of the game on ESPN3 on Saturday and I was thinking of posting on here that Millet looked pretty crowded (by our standards)
    Re6H5wk
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    Have always been my attendance goals for Miami and I realize they are lofty. 
    Football
    basketball
    hockey
    baseball and other sports
  • Reminds me of 2016, when we randomly had a Saturday game against OU get something like 4200 when we broke 2000 once before that the entire season. That was more believable since it was the rivalry game that got a few students plus some visiting fans, but even then it was pretty inflated.
    thechuck_2112
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Better question is...how does everyone else get Chuck's "shootin from the hip" button?!

:)
    edited January 2018
    skins said:

Better question is...how does everyone else get Chuck's "shootin from the hip" button?!

:)
    I sure would like to know!
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum

Agreed. That is a great number for us. They were promoting the Saturdays games very heavily, with all faculty and staff + families getting free admission.
    I am guessing many in attendance were faculty/staff.
    Plus extended families. Which is great. BUT, the ticket sales veteran in me wants to see some type of incremental sales as a result of this offer. A couple ideas:

* Provide faculty/staff up to 4 complimentary tickets and then SELL additional tickets at a discount. i'm 99% certain faculty/staff could request as many comp tickets as needed
    * My extended family attended last year and this year's game (upwards of 10 people). Miami NEEDS to find a way to determine who accepts the comp tickets and provide them offers to return. To my knowledge this hasn't happened. The result, is that families accustomed to this free offer will wait for it to come back around next time around and are more likely to NOT purchase a ticket in the future and will wait for the free offer to come back. 
    * Miami certainly saw a bump in concession sales, which is great, but for a revenue sport like MBB (and WBB) just handing out free tickets 1x/year won't necessarily get the buyer to come back. 
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Wealthy Alum
    It was a very nice size crowd Saturday, but it became obvious to me quickly that were a LOT of kids there, with their parents, coaches, etc. It was also the quietest 3000 people I've ever not heard at a sporting event. In other words, they had no real rooting interest and would be considered doubtful in terms of being return (paying) customers. The true test is getting some students there and then playing an exciting game to help word of mouth on campus.

Also, there were vendors in the aisles, selling boxes of Sour Patch Kids for $6. It's an outrage.